Saturday 28 July 2012


Theme: Spiritual Birth – Part I
Second birth

Theme: Spiritual Birth – Part I 


The Gopaul family, with the help and encouragement of Mandana Sabet, decided to host a regular devotional gathering in order to unite with others in prayer and shape a pattern of life distinguished by its devotional character. We wanted this gathering to be special by combining prayers with short conversations on related spiritual subjects. Every heart longs to commune with its Maker. Reading the Holy Verses uplifts our spirit and brings us closer to God. From these ideas, we hope participation, sharing and learning will naturally occur.

Each devotional will focus on a particular theme. The themes build on each other in order to advance our understanding of spiritual topics. We invite the world to join us through this blog, Facebook or Twitter. At our first physical meeting, there were only four of us. But from our home we are able to extend our reach globally, one of the great blessings of living in this wonderful age.


Moving forward, we’ll split the theme into manageable portions for our readers. Each blog post will have three sections: Devotion, Deeper Learning and Deeds (path of service), thus the 3-D Project. You will also see a section called Reflection which acts like a bridge that takes us from understanding to action. Depending on the size, each theme will be split into two to three parts. We are planning to place each section online every Friday, at least that’s our goal.

Devotion



My God, my Adored One, my King, my Desire! What tongue can voice my thanks to Thee? I was heedless, Thou didst awaken me. I had turned back from Thee, Thou didst graciously aid me to turn towards Thee. I was as one dead, Thou didst quicken me with the water of life. I was withered, Thou didst revive me with the heavenly stream of Thine utterance which hath flowed forth from the Pen of the All-Merciful.
O Divine Providence! All existence is begotten by Thy bounty; deprive it not of the waters of Thy generosity, neither do Thou withhold it from the ocean of Thy mercy. I beseech Thee to aid and assist me at all times and under all conditions, and seek from the heaven of Thy grace Thine ancient favor. Thou art, in truth, the Lord of bounty, and the Sovereign of the kingdom of eternity. - Baha'u'llah (Compilations, Baha'i Prayers, p. 18)

Whose love is the cause of my being, Whose mention is my solace, Whose nearness is my desire, Whose presence is my dearest wish and highest aspiration, I entreat Thee not to withhold from me the things Thou didst ordain for the chosen ones among Thy servants. Supply me, then, with the good of this world and of the next.
Thou, truly, art the King of all men. There is no God but Thee, the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Generous.  - Baha'u'llah (Compilations, Baha'i Prayers, p. 16)

Deeper Learning

One thing is certain: every human being arrives in this world in a naked and fragile body, crying, its parts barely working. After this physical birth, a newborn is in desperate need of others for survival. Fortunately, there is always help on standby for the new arrival, who holds promises of developing physically, emotionally and intellectually, of being educated, reaching self-sufficiency and hopefully becoming a productive citizen of society. Then, after a life here, death surely comes, sometimes unexpectedly. This is the life of a human being on this planet in a nutshell.

There is another kind of birth. Of all the religions, Christianity particularly emphasizes this second birth. In fact, there are even “Born Again” Christians. This has to do with what Jesus Christ said. According to John, Jesus said: “Except a man be born again, he cannot see the Kingdom of God (John 3:3).” Jesus also said, “That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit” (John 3:6). These sayings suggest that there are two realities to a human being: the physical and the spiritual. Through our physical birth we enter this world, but to gain access to the Kingdom of God, we need to experience a spiritual birth.

According to ‘Abdu'l-Bahá, the Kingdom of God refers to a world beyond the physical. He said:

“Therefore, in this world he must prepare himself for the life beyond. That which he needs in the world of the Kingdom must be obtained here.”            - Abdu'l-Baha (The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 226)

These quotations suggest that we need to go through a transformation as a way to condition ourselves for the next world. Just like the womb is a preparation for this world.

To be spiritually born involves gaining awareness that our existence is not only physical. Those who profess to have experienced this spiritual dimension understand that their existence is highly enhanced when they live according to spiritual laws and not only physical and social impulses. The highest point of this awareness is to acknowledge there is a supreme divine Being, called God or Allah or Yaheveh, Who is the creator of the universe. One who goes through this rebirth also understands that the soul, our inner spirit, must develop a relationship with this Supreme Power for its own good.

What to do with this knowledge? For those who take it seriously, life could be a wonderful experience. With it one can ride the waves of difficulties that life throws at us. It gives meaning to existence beyond the physical realm. When we die, life does not end. Rather it continues throughout eternity. Without this understanding, life is only the here and now. Have a good time. Look after me, me, and me.  

Finding God is a personal journey and our experiences are as unique as us. For example, my friend in Alberta was looking out at a majestic landscape when suddenly she realized that a Supreme Power must have created all that she saw. This was her moment of awakening. She investigated many religions and eventually became a Baha’i. 

The second example is my spiritual birth. At the age of fifteen, I concluded that God did not exist. A few years later, I came across the Baha’i Faith. The Baha’is eagerly informed me of their beliefs and gently pressed me to become a member, but, at the time, I had very little appetite for religion. In 1969, I went from my birthplace of Mauritius to Pakistan to study. In Karachi I contacted the Baha’is, who were friendly and hospitable. Nine months later when I decided to leave Pakistan and head towards Europe by road, one Baha’i suggested that I contract the Baha’is on my journey. It sounded like a good idea and I immediately accepted. During my travels in Europe, I was always in touch with the Baha’is and participated in activities whenever possible. In 1971, I reached Toronto and realized that I was very much part of this religion, yet I still did not believe in God.

Knowing that religion is fundamentally about a relationship between the soul and God, I felt hypocritical in calling myself a Baha’i. Immediately after this realization, I started my quest for God. After a few months of reflection, as I did when I was fifteen, I came to the same conclusion: there is no God. I was disheartened, and wondered what I did wrong. Then the answer came. I was using my mind to logically satisfy myself of the existence of a spiritual Being. It wasn’t until later, at a meeting where prayers were being said, that my approach changed. I began to use my heart to sense the presence of the Almighty. With faith, I had to make the first move and, sure enough a spiritual awareness came to me.

These two stories show divine assistance is easier to call upon than dialing 911. In the Qur’án, it is said, “And whoso maketh efforts for Us, in Our ways will We guide them.” [29:69].

During this second birth, something else happens that is far more important than what I have just mentioned. The Holy Spirit, a signal telling the soul of a higher existence, touches your soul.  This is the moment when a real spiritual life starts.  There is a direct interaction between a willing soul and the Holy Spirit: its recreation begins. It is a new journey to see and reflect the Beauty of God.

Reflection

For a moment think of your rebirth. Did it happen in one moment or a long period of time?  Share it with us, if you wish.

Deeds (path of service)

During the reflection of going online with these devotional/deep learning, it occurred to us to add one more dimension, namely, deeds. Thus the name 3-D Project came about. It makes sense. Prayers and discussion of a spiritual subject do give us an opportunity to immerse our soul in the divine realm and gain understanding of that reality. Yet, practicing what we learn or preach offers even greater enlightenment. One of the quotations that I like is this:

Say, O brethren! Let deeds, not words, be your adorning. (Baha'u'llah, The Persian Hidden Words)

In anything we do, whether it is learning how to swim, mastering physics or becoming a writer, just reading books and listening to a teacher is not enough. One has to roll up the sleeves and get the hands dirty. It is only through action that we gain deeper understanding. Who would better understand love, compassion or generosity, than one who had practiced these qualities?

In the Holy Writings of all religions, a lot has been said about deeds. More importantly, we want participants to share their experiences, hoping that they will inspire other to achieve a higher level of service.
(Stay tuned, Part II will be coming to your local browser soon) 




10 comments:

  1. Hi Mitra,

    Your article makes me think about the coherent lives that we actually live: walking a spiritual path with practical shoes. That is, one that is both physical and spiritual at the same time.

    Also the reflection question on rebirth is worth discussing. My spiritual rebirth happened over time and all at once. Let me explain.

    Over time...
    Many years of practicing, being engaged in a spiritual community, and discussing spiritual principles was part of my rebirth.

    All at once...
    I had the privilege of going on a Baha'i pilgrimage when I was about 20 years old that strongly connected me even more to the Holy Writings and the person of Baha'u'llah. This was truly transformative.

    Thanks for the great article and allowing me to contribute to the discussion.

    Paul Heidema

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul: Thanks for sharing your experience. I think readers will find it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maddie Wingett writes...

    Congratulations on your new blog site..I thoroughly enjoyed reading it..you have truly captured a sensible explanation about life and our spiritual behaviour...

    I have been a Baha'i for over 50 years and it has given me such a depth of understanding for the real purpose of our existence and the reason or our creation..
    I have found through the years as a Baha'i that I have discovered so much guidance and assistance in my daily life in so many ways, that confirms my belief that living the life through the teachings and principles that Baha'u'llah has given has truly given me a path to follow knowing that every test and difficulty is an opportunity to develop the spiritual side of myself and in understanding my fellow beings and having much more compassion for others..

    I wish you much success with this blog and look forward to interacting with the conversations that take place on it..
    Thank you for sharing with us..
    Baha'i greetings
    Maddie Wingett ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maddie:

      I have known for almost 40 years. You have been a staunch follower of Baha'u'llah. You have been an inspiration to many

      Delete
  4. Glorious Endeavor :-)

    May you be Richly Blessed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex: thanks for your positive thought. May God bless you!!

      Delete
  5. Raymond Jeffords writes....

    The devotional readings cited in your post mention the benefits of meditating on the Scriptures. 'Abdu'l-Baha states in Paris Talks: "Through the faculty of meditation man attains to eternal life; through it he receives the breath of the Holy Spirit--the bestowal of the Spirit is given in reflection and meditation. "

    In the same talk, 'Abdu'l-Baha describes how an ancient "Society of Friends" in Persia gained spiritual insights through meditation: "When they assemble in their meeting-house they sit silently and contemplate; their leader opens with a certain proposition, and says to the assembly `You must meditate on this problem'. Then, freeing their minds from everything else, they sit and reflect, and before long the answer is revealed to them. Many abstruse divine questions are solved by this illumination."

    We needn't be a member of the "Society of Friends" to benefit from this approach to meditation--especially when we encounter passages in the Scriptures that we find difficult or puzzling.

    Best regards,

    Raymond Jeffords

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray:

      Thanks for sharing this quote. Prayer and meditation go hand in hand. In prayer, one of the things we do is ask for clarity. Through meditation we receive answers to our prayers. The best source of all understanding is the Holy Spirit.

      Delete
  6. Gaye writes...

    I feel that my spiritual birth was when I recognized Jesus when I was ten. I began a life pattern of talking to Him. I felt His answers in my heart and mind. My declaration as a Baha'i when I was nineteen was a confirmation of my love for God. It took a few weeks of struggle as I loved to identify myself as a Christian. I realized that all reasons to believe in Jesus was true also in Baha'u'llah. I would have been a hypocrite to continue as a Christian after reading the words of Baha'u'llah. What joyous confirmations I had after that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mitra I had written a comment on this thought provoking blocg thus far but it failed to post result of my lacking internet savy but Ithink I have resolved the problem.andwill read again an dtry to repost if this post works.A very well thought out prject .Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete